The City of Calgary has nearly 12,000 hectares of industrial land supply, including more than 1,600 hectares of immediate and short-term land supply.
The City is serviced by three major industrial regions comprised of a network of industrial parks, intermodal facilities and on-airport logistics parks. Leasing rates for industrial space in Calgary remain lower than nearby cities, and land in the larger Calgary Region offers ample space for development at transportation nodes along major corridors.
Below are six sample developments situated along the north, south and eastern corridors along the CANA–MEX and Trans-Canada Highways outside the city limits:
- The Town of Crossfield has a development with seven parcels of land at approximately three acres each.
- There are two private developments currently with lots available along the HWY 2 (CANAMEX Corridor) for T&L use in the City of Airdrie. They are the 80-acre Gateway Commerce Centre Industrial Park (Citiland Group) and the 211-acre Highland Business Park (Beedie Development Corporation).
- There are four development opportunities in the Okotoks area. Two developments in the Town of Strathmore also have shovel-ready lots available as of 2012. They are the Canal Crossing Development and Strathmore’s Industrial Park. Both parks are adjacent to the Trans-Canada Highway east of Calgary.
- The Okotoks Business Park expansion area has shovel-ready lots for sale with excellent access and egress five minutes to the east via HWY 2 (CANAMEX Corridor).
- Both Burnswest Corporation and Tri-Star Communities have private light industrial lots available for sale, lease and build to suit in the Southbank Business Park of Okotoks.
- Larger affordable tracks of land are available for sale nearby in the Aldersyde Industrial Corridor area that lies between High River, AB and Okotoks, AB. This area, adjacent to CPR’s north/south line, has potential for rail-serviced lots.
- Two developments in City of Chestermere have shovel-ready lots available as of 2012. They are the TRUMAN DEVELOPMENT CORP. (9.04 acres) and Centron Group of Companies (248 acres). Both sites have excellent access to major highways, and Centron’s is adjacent to the Trans-Canada Highway east of Calgary.