In this episode, we discuss intermodal transportation, why your business would use it, and how to maximize its efficiency. We also review Ferrari's recent IPO and connection to supply chain management. Finally, we wonder if Reg is an agent of change in the supply chain industry.
Listen to the episode:
1. Featured News:
We look at:
- Push or pull system insupply chain?
- Push: stock goods and hope customers buys the supply
- Pull: react to customer orders
- How sales and marketing tied to the supply chain systems
- First 3D printed supercar
2. Featured topic:
We look to answer the following questions:
- What is intermodal transportation? Why/when to use it?
- Cost benefits?
- How to maximize intermodal efficiency?
- Can you share space on intermodal containers?
- What are the container sizes?
- When wouldn’t you use intermodal?
- How about storing and transporting perishable goods? use of Reefers?
- How much planning do you need when using intermodal?
- Do you need to rely on a 3PL to handle intermodal?
3. Featured resource:
Great backgrounder, by the Association of American Railroads, on the significance of rail intermodal as an alternative to highway shipping.
Have any questions or show suggestions?
Listen to previous episodes:
Please share the Square One Supply Chain podcasts with your networks: